Sunday, March 13, 2016

PELICANA THE PELICAN

A Korean proverb says, Birds hear words of daytime. (낮말은 새가 듣는다.) But sometimes, birds do much more than just hearing words. Some birds are not only word hearers but also word carriers. Pelicans, with huge pocket in their mouth, are specialized in this job. Among all the pelicans in Gangwon-do, Pelicana, with the most capacious mouth and largest wings, has been a never failing, living legend in the field. He is the only officially hired and officially paid bird by human. Yet, indeed, his workplace is not so special as we expect. It seems unfairly too normal for such a talented pelican to work for. Although many fancy-named-companies promised him luxurious nets, fresh fish everyday, and many more, he already had made choice even before those offers. Pelicana the Chicken Shop. That was his choice. Our hero, as flying to the Pelicana, shouted, This is my destiny. And Im willing to take it. Sayonara buddies.(By the way, it wasnt really a sayonara. We frequently found him delivering chickens to Hoengseong. Hoengseong dwellers must be chicken swallowing monsters.) Anyway, this is how he left.
It was Pelicanas fourth day when he found the letter. He was grudgingly delivering mouthful of chickens as usual. Chicken delivery was the last job he expected to do. He thought he deserved much more dignity than this. (He thought of organizing a labor union, but remembered that hes the only working pelican.) Pelicana was shaking the identity of Pelicana as a word carrier. Right when his anger reached its highest, he spotted a red-faced BBQ Chicken Shop owner. Pelicana wondered if other parts of his body are also that red. So he started to fly a bit lower. Thats when he found the letter.

Ooh, the man is grabbing the letter so tightly. Is he trying to squeeze juice out of it? Humans what a greedy creature! Wait... letter? This is the chance! I can be a word carrier again!

            KMLA how dare you do this to me I will sue you! Who cares about Mitchell! Ive done what I shouldve done! Its not my fault. See you at court! Hey wait! Hey! Birdie! Hey! Dayum that fat bird. Now I cant to anything, fudge…”

            Pelicana snatched the letter and handed it to Mr. Pelicana. Mr. Pelicana, fluttered, began to read out the letter.

To. Head of Dunnae BBQ Chicken Shop
Good Afternoon. Weather has been much warmer these days, though its still cold enough for adorable chickens to lose all their body heat during delivery. Well, for you, Head of Dunnae Chicken Shop, I reckon coldness did not bother you while frying chickens in front of sparkling oil :D I hope you didnt freeze yourself last night. What I am really concerned about is the well fare of you oil. Inferring from last nights bloody experience of chicken party, my friends are pretty sure that you poor oil is being mistreated. When I walked into my classroom, half of the classmates were gone. All of them went to the hospital for stomachache. Since the meals school provides are all strictly tested, they are not the reason of this bloody disaster. Then, that leaves only one explanation. YOU. Its you that mistreated your oil. Its your oil that failed to cook chicken perfectly. And its that bloody chicken that caused this crisis.
For KMLA students, Chicken Day, which only comes every once a month, is serious, meaningful, and even sacred event. We are not like common people who can complain and evaluate the quality of chicken. For us, who always are desperate for chicken, throwing away chicken and buying a new one is not an option. Yet, as avid chicken lovers, we always leave changing the Chicken shop as a last resort. So, please provide us with better quality chicken. We really want to maintain this relationship with you, please let us.
The last night event was a real disappointment. That made us to seriously consider about the last resort. Such irresponsibility you showed should never be tolerated. If you want us to keep buy chicken from Dunnae BBQ Chicken Shop, you should provide something, shouldnt you? I demand free, fully cooked chicken for all students. We don't want to let another drop of chicken blood flow through our vein.
More importantly, we wait for your apology. I am planning to ask our headmaster to have a tour to Dunnae soon. Maybe we can have chicken for our meal, and you might offer them for free. The life philosophy of KMLA students is BCD; Birth, Chicken, and Death. I really want to tell how much students who ate bloody chickens are suffering from pain. One of my best friends, Mitchell, pooped blood. He is suffering from diarrhea. Mike is vomiting every five minutes.
Head of Dunnae BBQ Chicken Shop, we wait for you responsible response.

Sincerely,
You-Know-Who


Post-letter Story (from a radical)
I vow to take revenge on the BBQ place. I just arrived from the hospital because I ate you bloody chicken and now I have a stomachache. You cost me money and my valuable time. I promise I will cost you a few thousand times more time. My time is running out. But we decided to keep, so I have more time. I will burn down your place and rescue all the chickens. They deserve better, for they are currently being mistreated, being undercooked. If only I was permitted to write in Korean, I could have been more violent. 암튼 뒤통수 조심해라.

Pelicana was expecting nice storke on his back. Instead, he got a full-power stroke on his face. Through his closing eyelids, he saw the crying face of Mr. Pelicana, and through his deafening eardrums, he heard Mr. Pelicana shouting... "Dad! Oh, my old man! BBQ was his dream!!! 흡!"

2 comments:

  1. It was very interesting to see a pelican being anthropomorphized- the bird shouted, read a letter, and even think about complicated things. Also, the characters and features of pelican and the appearance of KMLA made me laugh for a while. Specifically, the content of the letter was actually referred to the real "bloody chicken incident" and many aspects of life in KMLA, and the students' name who suffered from the chicken are real so it was so funny to read. Also, the letter contained the irrational and ridiculous revenging story so it was awkward and funny. Finally, the last part was a reversal. The bird was hit by the man. Anyway, generally, the story was funny, fun, and full of twist and humor. Reading it, I could not help myself from laughing. It was fun and very well written. I love this meta fiction. Yet, to criticize a little, that the writter did not change color and size of letters sufficiently, and that the writter used korean too much was disappointing.-usage of Korean was great but it was too much.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parts of this work. Parts of it do not. I really liked the intro, and it set the table in an interesting way that was philosophical. Then, things got confusing and weird, and we most readers would have no clue to connect Pelicans to Pelicana, and how many pelicans are we actually dealing with in this story? This goal is to write something ANYONE anywhere in the world can make sense of, and maybe this got a bit too experimental, and too KMLA related. I do admire your bravery and experimental-ism, however. That said, you have to ask yourself "does it make sense" and "do I establish the 5 w's" before you hand things to your readers to read. ALWAYS SERVE THE READER. This is the first rule of writing. All in all, a decent effort - though the structure doesn't reach deeply enough into the concept of metafiction.

    ReplyDelete